GEWA music was founded in 1925 by Georg Walther in Adorf, Vogtland, Germany. At first, the company was dedicated to the tradition of the Vogtland region, making stringed instruments. Shortly afterwards, the company started to produce its own cases and bags in Adorf. At an early stage, renowned accessory manufacturers contacted him in order to benefit from his contacts and to transfer the exclusive distribution rights to GEWA. At the same time, Georg's brother Rudolph began manufacturing percussion instruments such as marching drums, which were in turn distributed by Georg. The development of musical instruments has always been an integral part of GEWA music's corporate DNA.